Cyclothymic Cister

Before the Internet, I used to lie in bed at night composing thoughts as if I were talking to a wise entity. (An actual face never came to mind). I would re-word and re-phrase the thoughts till they were crystal clear. Now I can blog. And hopefully, there are a lot of wise people with real faces out there who might just comment back.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Me First

Should church congregations take advantage of our city police department to help them exit the church parking lot? A huge Baptist church was recently built in our neighborhood on the corner of two highways, with the parking lot exiting onto both highways. On Sundays when church service is dismissed, the police department stops traffic on both highways to let the church traffic out while the rest of us wait.

I don’t know if this is a proper or legal use of our city police force, but at the very least, it does not seem ethical. This sense of entitlement irks me. Aren’t Christians called to be servants? As an example of Christian charity should we not acquiesce to others’ needs first?

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant . . . Philippians 2:6-8

What if the Church employed the city police department to direct traffic to let the hard-working factory workers out after a grueling 12-hour shift? These laborers just want to get home to their families; they are not trying to be first to get the best seats at the best restaurants.

3 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger cardiogirl said...

I have to agree, Cister, that frequently after church when the cars are rushing to get out of dodge I silently think to myself, "And they will know we are Christians...how?"

It's so ironic. I would think if the congregation is that large, some folks could volunteer for traffic directing duty once a month, rather than use up the city's police resources.

That strikes me as crazy and a misuse of the law enforcement's resources.

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous nolinmom said...

Cister....just remember....it's the "Six Flags Over Jesus Crowd"....LOL!!!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Chicka said...

LOL! I have to agree. Every week I see people practically killing each other to get out of the church parking lots. It's like "Ok, church is over. Now get the hell outta my way!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home