Cyclothymic Cister

Before the Internet, I used to lie in bed at night composing thoughts as if I were talking to a wise entity. (An actual face never came to mind). I would re-word and re-phrase the thoughts till they were crystal clear. Now I can blog. And hopefully, there are a lot of wise people with real faces out there who might just comment back.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Bumper Sticker Snobbery

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said “My daughter saves lives. What does yours do?”

Does that sound kind of snobbish to anyone else? While I am glad for that mother that her daughter is successful, it seems catty to ask what my daughter does, as if it would not be nearly as important as her daughter.

What hurt me was that I had the same aspirations for my daughters as that mother probably had for hers. I taught my children the right things. They were brought up in a good home with proper values. I long to be proud of them. Maybe even brag a little. Yet both of my daughters have made poor choices and have not even come close to living up to their potential. In fact, they are probably the lives that HER daughter has to save.

So I am glad there are life savers in this world. But I love my daughters just the same. They are precious to me even if they never hold prestigious positions.

7 Comments:

At 5:42 AM, Anonymous cardiogirl said...

Yes, I can see your point of view. I wonder if her daughter is a paramedic or a doctor. If so, I would think a bumper sticker like, "Have you thanked your doctor today?" would be more appropriate.

This just goes back to someone having to put someone else down in order to feel good about themselves. Ex: my daughter is awesome, is yours?

Grr.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Cyclothymic Cister said...

Cardio
You said it better than I did. Thanks for the insight.

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cister,

I saw a bumper sticker from a pilot that always gave me a chuckle. It said, "Don't tell my mom I'm a pilot. She thinks I play piano in a whorehouse." Not sure why that was so funny, but it was.

To your bumper sticker bearer...how sad for her that she has to call such attention to herself...for the positive or the negative, we can't live our lives vicariously through our kids, can we?

Hope you are well....

~Nolinmom

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Chicka said...

I found you! (I'd lost your link for awhile.)

I'm betting it's like cardiogirl said - her kid's an EMT or something. But still - sheesh.

I never liked those "My kid is an honor roll student" bumper stickers either. Who the frick cares?!

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous aj-today said...

I have known mothers like this personally and let me tell you, they are arrogant and overbearing. NOT my type of person.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Cyclothymic Cister said...

Nolinmom,
That pilot bumper sticker is funny! Thanks for sharing. I knew I could count on you for humor.

Chicka! Long time no post. Glad you found me again. I'm with you about the honor student bumper stickers!

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous nolinmom said...

In the immortal words of George Carlin: "Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: 'We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.'”

 

Post a Comment

<< Home