Cyclothymic Cister

Before the Internet, I used to lie in bed at night composing thoughts as if I were talking to a wise entity. (An actual face never came to mind). I would re-word and re-phrase the thoughts till they were crystal clear. Now I can blog. And hopefully, there are a lot of wise people with real faces out there who might just comment back.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Hard Feeze

Just as the crabapples, redbuds and dogwoods were budding and blooming, just as new plant life was pushing up through the ground, just as daffodils were at their prime and azaleas were about to open their buds, we had a late freeze that killed them all. The landscape looks dead at a time when it should be brimming with lush beauty.

Nature is a mirrow of my own spirit. Just as hope springs forth in my heart and I put on tender new growth, a “freeze” kills it. Hope lies dormant for a while, not trusting the climate. Then, shyly and cautiously, it peeks up through the darkness and begins anew. When the spirit is ready to open into full bloom, the cruel coldness of reality destroys it once again. This bi-polar world teases the emotions, keeping them in constant confusion.

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over [and] gone;
The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing [of birds] is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; The fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines [with] the tender grape give a [good] smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away. Sgs 2: 10-13

Some day . . . .

2 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Anonymous nolinmom said...

Sad isn't it....and yet, it is pretty ballsy that in spite of the freeze, we make the attempt EVERY time to come back, after all. Every species has a indeterminable will to live. In cutting my grass today, I could not help but notice one tiny evergreen who managed to spring up between two rocks. Downright courageous of that little fellow--knowing he would have to constantly fight for space, nutrients, and water, and yet, there he is, hanging on all the same. We aren't any different, are we?

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous aj-today said...

nolinmom, well-said!

Cyclothymic Cister, I felt EXACTLY the same way after the freeze and composed in my mind a similar essay which I shared with my husband. I was absolutely heartsick and here it is July and still can’t get over it. Our Japanese maple, though, is slowly putting out new leaves and I thought it was dead. Symbolic of the human spirit? ABSOLUTELY!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home