Cyclothymic Cister

Before the Internet, I used to lie in bed at night composing thoughts as if I were talking to a wise entity. (An actual face never came to mind). I would re-word and re-phrase the thoughts till they were crystal clear. Now I can blog. And hopefully, there are a lot of wise people with real faces out there who might just comment back.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Curb Appeal Doesn't Come Easy

My husband and I have been working every weekend for a couple of months in 90 degree weather with humidity at 239%, to get our rental property ready to sell by painting, building a deck, finishing a tool shed, installing appliances, etc. Here are some specifics:

I have sweated off 10 lbs.

We purchased furniture in kits to put in the house to stage it for showing. If you can put a piece on backwards—or upside down-- my husband and I did it . . . every time, at every stage of the process. We were giddy about having one piece almost finished. The final stage: sliding the drawer into place. But what the hell, the drawer slides were at the top instead of the bottom. We had to take every last piece apart to fix it. Now that we are experts at putting together furniture and tightening cam locks, we’ll probably never use that skill again.

Working side by side with my husband doing things that HE is good at caused me to see him with eyes of admiration. He seemed to be indefatigable as he worked to get things accomplished, tasks that would cause weaker individuals to give up. In truth, though, we were both exhausted but we pressed on, building rapport with every nail we drove, and every board we cut. I guess it is kind of like the rapport built by military units. We marched on claiming ground as we went. On the 4th of July, we hung an American Flag on the front porch of the house and put a “For Sale” sign in the front yard. I think we won the battle. I know we won one for the relationship. My respect for my spouse grew to new heights.

Remember I said we were exhausted? We went home and fell asleep right after dinner. The next morning my husband discovered that he had left the garage door open (not just unlocked, but wide open) and the door from the garage to the house wide open (again not just unlocked, but open). The neighbor’s tomcat was standing the middle of the kitchen. The smell of cat spray permeated the entire house. Oh well, just another thing. But the neighbors shouldn’t be surprised when their cat mysteriously comes up neutered.

5 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger aj-today said...

This is hilarious. And I could just feel your triumph when you put the flag up. Sorry about the cat pee.

My husband and I can't work together. He wants me present when he is working on projects, but it is just so I can hold something for him, like a screw, while he takes his time doing the "hard stuff" and I wait and wait and wait bored out of my mind until he finally says "okay, now give me that screw."

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

My husband and I can't work together. I require explanations for why I should do something a certain way and he doesn't like to provide them.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Cyclothymic Cister said...

aj and peeved: my husband and I used have problems working together, especially if I were the expert. Counseling has helped us overcome that. Now we don't take ourselves too seriously.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger kat said...

Omigosh! I will be struck for some time with the image of sleeping peacefully, and deeply, in exhaustion while the garage door is wide open and bands of neighborhood cats roam and pillage!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Cyclothymic Cister said...

kat: Glad you could visualize our surreptitious happenings while we were sweetly slumbering. I'm just glad it was a cat in the house instead of a cat burglar!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home